, ophthalmologists Board certified after July 1, 1992 transitioned to the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements set by the American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO). The Academy has developed a range of products and services to help you through this new process - the Academy MOC Essentials.
The Academy MOC Essentials®
resource offers comprehensive tools and information needed to help you meet the ABO's MOC requirements. Current Academy offerings include:
- MOC Process and Requirements: An outline of the ABO's requirements and deadlines, as well as MOC-related products and services the Academy is offering.
- MOC Exam Review CourseTM: Live didactic sessions based on the Practicing Ophthalmologists curriculum (POC) containing information deemed to be most clinically relevant and serving as the knowledge base of ophthalmic information from which the ABO will derive questions for its Demonstration of Ophthalmic Cognitive Knowledge (DOCK) and Periodic Ophthalmic Review Test (PORT) examinations.
- Practicing Ophthalmologists Learning System: This is a comprehensive online lifelong learning program that provides a clinically relevant review of topics across all practice emphasis areas (PEAs) in ophthalmology including opportunities for self-assessment and for earning CME credits. The most clinically relevant topics within the learning system comprise the Practicing Ophthalmologists Curriculum (POC), which serves as the basis for the MOC examinations. Study outlines, images, self-assessments and note-taking tools are all included. The self-assessments allow you to study and to learn from hundreds of multiple choice questions based and to receive immediate feedback. Timed exams allow you to simulate an online test-taking experience. When preparing for MOC examinations, users may filter the content to focus on the POC.
- POC Topics: Downloadable PDF files that are printble and free-of-charge for all the study outlines in the POC. The POC is organized by practice emphasis area (i.e., subspecialty) and includes 9 subspecialties, a section on Core Ophthalmic Knowledge and a section on Comprehensive Ophthalmology. The POC includes text only. Images and self-assessment questions, along with the POC, are included in the Practicing Ophthalmologists Learning System.
- CME Central: An Academy tracking tool for easy maintenance and credit reporting throughout the MOC process.